GTCYS auditions are opportunities to play your instrument so we can get to know you and match you with one of our ten incredible orchestras. Our 2022-23 season runs September 2022 – May 2023, and marks GTCYS’ 51st season. The deadline to audition for second semester (January – May, 2023) is December 7. To audition for GTCYS, you will register online, record a video, and submit your audition online. Please contact program assistant Katie Heilman at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651.602.6803 if you have any questions about the audition process or requirements. We’re here to help!
Between late August and early October, we are accepting auditions for current instrument openings on a rolling basis. The deadline to audition for second semester (January – May, 2023) is December 7.
Violin: Limited openings in Philharmonia East & West, openings in all other orchestras except Camerata
Viola: Limited openings in Philharmonia East & West, openings in all other orchestras except Camerata
Cello: Limited openings in Philharmonia East & West and Concertino West, openings in all other orchestras except Camerata
Bass: Openings in all orchestras
Flute: Openings in Sinfonia East, Sinfonia West, Concertino East
Oboe: Openings in Sinfonia East, Philharmonic
Clarinet: Openings in Sinfonia East, Concertino East
Bassoon: Openings in all orchestras
Horn: Openings in all orchestras except Symphony
Trumpet: Openings in all orchestras except Concert Orchestra and Symphony
Trombone: Openings in all orchestras except Concertino West and Symphony
Tuba: Openings in Sinfonia East, Sinfonia West, Concertino East, and Concert Orchestra
Percussion: Openings in all orchestras except Symphony
Harp: please inquire with the GTCYS office
Steps for 2022-23 Season Auditions
- Register for an audition.
- Follow your instrument audition requirements (below).
- Practice, practice, practice!
- Record your audition video and submit it online to be considered for placement.
Click your instrument to download your audition requirements. Follow the steps outlined and you’ll be on your way to a great audition! If you don’t have access to a printer or a digital device to view the audition requirements, please contact us and we’ll mail you the materials.
The main auditions for GTCYS’ school-year orchestras are held in the spring of the current season. All other auditions are reviewed on a rolling basis and placed according to instrument needs and openings.
- February 16: Audition registration opens for 2022-23 school year.
- April 26 – May 17: Window to submit audition video.
- By July 1: Placements sent.
- August 17: Late auditions due by August 17. Placement is contingent on specific instrument and orchestra openings.
- December 7: Second-semester auditions for new students are due by December 7. Students who already auditioned in 2022 are not eligible to submit a video in December. Placement is contingent on specific instrument and orchestra openings.
Through tuition assistance and support for private lessons, GTCYS makes our programs affordable for all interested students, regardless of financial constraints. Learn more here.
Click here for scale references, example audition videos, and more resources. Happy practicing!