Note: To translate any GTCYS webpage into Spanish, click the dropdown option for Espanol in the top right corner.
Nota: Para traducir cualquier página web de GTCYS al español, haga clic en la opción desplegable para Español en la esquina superior derecha.
Creating stronger learners, building confidence, and opening new doors through music
Harmony is a strings instruction program that breaks down barriers and uses music as a tool for social transformation, empowering students to make a positive impact in school and society. Harmony is inspired by El Sistema, the Venezuelan music education philosophy which develops the whole student and meets specific community needs.
Launched in 2016 as a small, barrier-free after-school program, Harmony has expanded to serve up to 75 2nd – 5th students at Riverview Spanish-English Dual Immersion School located in St. Paul’s West Side neighborhood. During the school year, students meet every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 8am – 9:15am before school to learn violin or cello. They perform in various concerts throughout the year including at Orchestra Hall in Minneapolis and in collaboration with GTCYS’ orchestras. Students also benefit from extensive summer programming including camps and weekly jam sessions. The annual participation fee is $20 per student which is waived for families who can’t afford it. Harmony is made possible with generous support from GTCYS’ donor community.
As they progress musically, Harmony students and alumni advance into GTCYS’ school-year orchestras and benefit from weekly private lessons and instruments paid for by GTCYS. More than 30 Harmony alumni are now GTCYS orchestra musicians.
- To access Harmony’s full calendar, click here.
- To provide students with opportunities to learn a musical instrument and develop their musical performance skills
- To promote social emotional learning, which contributes to students’ positive outcomes in school and society
- To foster a lifelong passion for and interest in music
- To open doors to new opportunities and experiences
Watch a Harmony Performance
Enjoy their live performance of Rafael dos Santos’ Bolo de Limão.
- Visit the GTCYS Board & Staff page to see the full list of Harmony faculty.