GTCYS is delighted to announce the 2022-23 GTCYS’ Concerto Competition. Please see the details, deadlines, and online application form below and note that all current GTCYS students are invited to participate.
About the Competition
GTCYS’ Concerto Competition is an annual opportunity for any current GTCYS musician to showcase their individual talents. Contestants prepare a memorized concerto movement or solo work and record a video audition with a collaborative pianist for the preliminary round. Selected finalists perform in a free public recital with a collaborative pianist. From that round, one or two winners will be selected to perform in concert with GTCYS’ flagship orchestra, Symphony, led by Artistic Director Mark Russell Smith.
Preliminary Auditions: Video auditions accepted through October 14, 2022.
Finals Recital: Saturday, November 5, 2022, at Sundin Music Hall, Hamline University, St. Paul. Free and open to the public.
Performance with Symphony: The winner(s) will perform in a concert with Symphony on Sunday, February 19, 2023.
Applications and preliminary video auditions must be submitted by end of day Friday, October 14 to guarantee participation. Applicants must abide by all rules outlined below. Failure to study and follow these rules may disqualify submissions. Please read them carefully.
- Click here to apply by Friday, October 14. Auditions are open to any current GTCYS member except previous winners.
- There is a $50 non-refundable audition fee for each application, payable via credit card within the online competition registration. Fee assistance is available.
- All music must be memorized and performed with piano accompaniment in both the preliminary video audition and the finals recital.
- You must provide your own collaborative pianist for the preliminary video audition. If access to a collaborative pianist is a barrier for your family, contact Miranda Bryan at firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about financial assistance.
- For the November 5 finals recital, all finalists will use a GTCYS-designated collaborative pianist, for whom GTCYS will pay for up to 90 minutes of rehearsal time, plus the final recital performance. Details forthcoming.
- Musical requirements:
- Students should prepare repertoire with orchestral parts easily available through purchase or rental. If you have questions about the eligibility of your repertoire selection, please contact GTCYS Librarian Paul Schimming at email@example.com or 651-602-6804 prior to completing the application form.
- Music with more than one solo instrument is acceptable. All players should play at a comparably high standard.
- Limit preliminary video audition to 10 minutes or less. Collaborative pianists should reduce or eliminate long introductions and interludes.
- Music performed in the finals should include the entire work or movement with no cuts in the solo part.
Video Instructions for the Preliminary Round
- Make your recording with basic equipment, such as a smart phone, tablet, or laptop with a built-in microphone and video camera. High quality recording equipment is NOT necessary. If you do not have access to technology or adequate internet access, please contact us so we can support you.
- Record with your pianist in a quiet room with the door closed, with minimal visual distractions and background noise. Your pianist’s home studio is likely a great place to record.
- Upload your video to YouTube and share the link in the application form. Find more instructions on how to upload and share your video link under “Audition Video FAQs” at https://gtcys.org/auditions/faqs.
Deadline: Friday, October 14, 2022
GTCYS will notify you if you have advanced to the final round by Tuesday, October 18. Contact GTCYS Program Director Miranda Bryan at firstname.lastname@example.org or 651.602.6807 with questions. Thank you!