Audition Video Recording Tips
Sample Audition Videos:
Recording Your Audition Video:
What should I use to record my audition video?
Recordings can be made with basic equipment, including a smart phone, tablet, or laptop with a built-in microphone and video camera. High quality recording equipment is NOT necessary. If you do not have access to technology or adequate internet access, please contact us so we can support you.
Where should I record my audition video?
We recommend recording in a quiet room with the door closed, with minimal visual distractions and background noise. Let your family know when you’re recording!
How do I set up my recording device?
There are several ways to best set up your recording device. We’ll walk you through some of the most common devices. In all instances, position yourself so that your instrument and your full person are visible in the video so judges can assess your technique and posture. This is easiest if someone helps you!
Record your video using the main camera on your smartphone or tablet, not the front-facing selfie camera. Set your device to film in landscape (horizontal) not portrait (vertical). Prop your smartphone or tablet on a stable surface to record you video audition. Use books, water bottles, a music stand, or any other objects to make a stable surface for your device.
- Mac: You can use any video recording app. All Macs come with the Photo Booth app pre-installed. You can find this by pressing command + space and typing “Photo Booth” in the pop-up search field. Then, click on the Photo Booth app. Visit Apple’s Photo Booth User Guide for more help on using Photo Booth, including how to record a video and how to save your video.
- PC: You can use any video recording app. All PCs running Windows 10 come with the Camera app pre-installed. To open your Camera app, select the Start button, and then select Camera in the list of apps. Visit Microsoft’s Support Page for more help on using the Camera app.
We strongly encourage you to make a test video to familiarize yourself with your technology, check sound levels, and troubleshoot in advance of filming your audition video.
Uploading Your Audition Video:
How do I create a YouTube channel?
Students must upload their audition video to YouTube. You will need a Google account in order to create a YouTube channel. Click here for instructions on how to create a Google account.
Once you have a Google account, you can create a YouTube channel. Click here for instructions on how to create a YouTube channel.
How do I upload my audition video?
Follow these step-by-step instructions to upload your audition video:
1. While signed into your YouTube channel, click the video camera icon in the upper right corner, and select “Upload Video”.
2.Select your audition video file to upload.
3. In “Details”, title your video in this format: FirstName LastName, Instrument, GTCYS Audition (example: Alex Smith, Violin, GTCYS Audition)
4. In “Visibility” selected Unlisted for your video.
5. Click “Save” and your video will finish uploading.
6. Once uploaded, copy and paste the link into the the online form, which you will receive after you register for your audition.