GTCYS auditions are opportunities to play your instrument so we can get to know you and match you with one of our ten incredible orchestras. Our 2022-23 season runs September 2022 – May 2023, and marks GTCYS’ 51st season. To audition for GTCYS, you will register online, record a video, and submit your audition online. Please contact program assistant Katie Heilman at email@example.com or 651.602.6803 if you have any questions about the audition process or requirements. We’re here to help!
Steps for 2022-23 Season Auditions
- Register for an audition.
- Follow your instrument audition requirements (below).
- Practice, practice, practice!
- Record your audition video and submit it online to be considered for placement.
Click your instrument to download your audition requirements. Follow the steps outlined and you’ll be on your way to a great audition! If you don’t have access to a printer or a digital device to view the audition requirements, please contact us and we’ll mail you the materials.
The main auditions for GTCYS’ school-year orchestras are held in the spring of the current season. All other auditions are reviewed on a rolling basis and placed according to instrument needs and openings.
- February 16: Audition registration opens for 2022-23 school year.
- April 26 – May 17: Window to submit audition video.
- By July 1: Placements sent.
- Late May – August: Late auditions accepted on a rolling basis. Placement is contingent on specific instrument and orchestra openings.
- November – December: Second-semester auditions for specific instrument and orchestra openings.
Through tuition assistance and support for private lessons, GTCYS makes our programs affordable for all interested students, regardless of financial constraints. Learn more here.
Health and Safety Plans
The safety of our students and staff remains our top priority as we emerge from the pandemic. We will follow any applicable COVID guidelines issued by the Minnesota Department of Health and CDC to ensure the safety of all students, staff, and guests.
COVID vaccinations are strongly recommended, though they will not be required for GTCYS participation. We will collect students’ COVID vaccination status with enrollment and use that info to inform fall safety protocols, including any mask requirements or recommendations.
The following protocols are currently in place for the 2021-22 season:
- Full-size orchestras resume weekly rehearsal schedules
- Orchestras are set up with typical spacing and instrument seating
- Instrument/bell covers are not required for woodwind and brass players
- Temperature checks are not taken upon arrival
- Hand sanitization and cleaning protocols continue
- Students who are ill or have symptoms of any kind are asked to stay home
- Rehearsals are livestreamed so absent students can participate virtually
Click here for scale references, example audition videos, and more resources. Happy practicing!